I learned two things today. First, I have about three months until I move to another continent and country. Second, today is the day my family realized I am completely serious.
I was sitting at my desk when I realized I only have a few more months left. I’ve been selected as a recruit for the technical training staff. Basically, if I pass the three-day training this week, there is a high chance that I will be asked to instruct others in how to do my job. With this came the realization that even if I do accept the offer, I will only have the opportunity to instruct for a few months or so before I leave. Do I take the offer? I imagine Technical Instructor looks pretty good on a resume / C.V. To be quite honest, along with the moment of realization, I froze at my desk in thought. I have so many things to accomplish for the move and not much time. I should be doing more research about the move now, but I’m writing this post instead. I wish I could find a flat before I leave. I don’t want to agree to anything before I actually see the place, so this leaves me in a bit of a predicament. This entire thing has been a lesson in letting go…
Today, my mom asked me if I was actually serious about moving. When I told her I was it seemed that she never thought I would actually go through with it. As you can imagine, she did not take the news well. It’s difficult when you set a path and your family doesn’t support you. Every day, I hear something from my mom about how I am making the wrong choice; about how Spains economy is tanked or another passive-aggressive pity plea. Thankfully, my dad doesn’t say anything. I know what he is thinking though when he turns his face when he hears my mom talking to me. Is this a mistake? Maybe, but I’d like to think not. If for some unforeseen reason I actually loathe my time in Spain, I’d like to consider this as the time I did what I wanted for myself even when my emotions and logic warred inside me. Moving alone to a foreign country, quitting a government job to accept a job that pays four times less…of course it seems crazy, but I would be crazy to wait.
For those of you who rooted far from where they sprouted, how did you deal with the reaction to your choice? Did you ever choose to cancel your move? If so, Are you happy with the way things turned out? Do you regret it?